WAC 246-853-080 Continuing education.
(1) Licensed osteopathic physicians and surgeons must complete one hundred fifty hours of continuing education every three years as required in chapter 246-12 WAC, Part 7.
(2) Certification of compliance with the requirement for continuing medical education of the American Osteopathic Association, or receipt of the AMA physicians recognitions award or a current certification of continuing medical education from medical practice academies shall be deemed sufficient to satisfy the requirements of these regulations.
(3) Original certification or recertification within the previous six years by a specialty board will be considered as evidence of equivalent compliance with these continuing professional education requirements.
246-12-170 When is continuing education required?
246-12-180 How to prove compliance.
246-12-190 Auditing for compliance.
246-12-200 What is acceptable audit documentation?
246-12-210 When is a practitioner exempt from continuing education?
246-12-220 How credit hours for continuing education courses are determined.
246-12-230 Carrying over of continuing education credits.
246-12-240 Taking the same course more than once during a reporting cycle.
AIDS PREVENTION AND INFORMATION EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
246-12-260 Who must obtain AIDS education?
246-12-270 Acceptable AIDS education and training.
246-12-280 What is acceptable documentation?
Suicide Prevention Training*
As of July 1, 2017, osteopathic physicians are required to complete an approved six-hour course in suicide prevention training select a course from the 2017 Model List (Updated January 9, 2019) . See the training requirements for health professional time and content requirements. The Department of Health will continue to add approved programs to this model list. Some approved in-person trainings are on the suicide prevention events page.
Continuing education requirements for opioid prescribing.
(1) In order to prescribe an opioid in Washington state, an osteopathic physician licensed to prescribe opioids shall complete a one-time continuing education requirement regarding best practices in the prescribing of opioids and the current opioid prescribing rules in this chapter. The continuing education must be at least one hour in length.
(2) The osteopathic physician shall complete the one-time continuing education requirement described in subsection (1) of this section by the end of the osteopathic physician's first full continuing education reporting period after January 1, 2019, or during the first full continuing education reporting period after initial licensure, whichever is later.
(3) The continuing education required under this section counts toward meeting any applicable continuing education requirements.